RILM abstract: "The building of Bologna's most important church was decided by the Senate and begun in 1390. A regular musical chapel was created in 1436, and the first organ was installed in 1475. A second instrument was built in 1596 to perform double choir music with the chorus and the cornetto and sackbut band. During the 17th and 18th c. a considerable repertoire for large ensembles with vocal soloists, choirs, trumpets, and strings in concerted style developed in the basilica. Stylistic characteristics of the music result from the long reverberation time (12 seconds) and other acoustic qualities specific to the building."
"Musical Performance at San Petronio in Bologna: a Brief History,"
Performance Practice Review:
1, Article 7.
Available at: http://scholarship.claremont.edu/ppr/vol8/iss1/7