This article traces the early history of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, California, starting ca. 1867 with the Portolà Expedition. The expedition was the first to record the site where the botanic garden later came to be located, in Santa Ana Canyon, northeastern Orange County. Successive changes in land ownership eventually led to the Bixby family purchasing the land in 1875. Susanna Bixby Bryant, the founder of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, acquired the land in 1925.
Lenz, Lee W.
"In the Beginning,"
Aliso: A Journal of Systematic and Floristic Botany:
1, Article 6.
Available at: https://scholarship.claremont.edu/aliso/vol9/iss1/6
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.