- Any current, full-time undergraduate student enrolled at one of the 5Cs may submit an original academic paper.
- FIVE publishes papers written in English.
- NOTICE OF ORIGINAL WORK, USE OF COPYRIGHT PROTECTED MATERIALS, & RESEARCH WITH HUMAN SUBJECTS: If your work includes images, videos, music, data sets, or other accompanying material that is not original work by you, you must obtain permission from the original content provider in order to have that material published in the journal. If your work includes interviews, you must obtain signed statements from all interviewees that you have permission to make their interviews public. Additionally, whenever your work includes research with human subjects, you must complete Institutional Review Board (IRB) forms. You can find information on obtaining permission and sample forms in the Resources section of FIVE.
- FIVE does not accept senior theses; however, students may submit thesis chapters written for senior seminars. Guidelines for submission of senior theses to Scholarship@Claremont vary from campus to campus, so be sure to check with your advisor on options at your college.
- Papers published in FIVE will remain a permanent part of the journal.
Rights for Authors
As described in our Submission and Copyright Permission Agreement form, in consideration for publication of the papers, authors agree to the condition that FIVE applies the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND) license to all works we publish (read the full license legal code). Under the CC BY-NC-ND, authors retain ownership of the copyright for their paper, but authors allow anyone to copy, distribute, and transmit the work in FIVE for non-commercial, non-derivative use, so long as the original author(s) and source are cited. No permission is required from the author(s) or the publisher.
This license was developed to facilitate open access to, and free use of, original works of all types. Applying this standard license to your work will ensure your right to make your work freely and openly available. Learn more about open access. For queries about the license, please contact us.
Additionally, authors grant to the Claremont Colleges Library, including Scholarship@Claremont and the Center for Digital initiatives, the nonexclusive worldwide rights to digitize, publish, exhibit, and use the work in any way that furthers the educational, research, and public service purposes of FIVE or of the Claremont Colleges Library, including Scholarship@Claremont and the Center for Digital initiatives.
Attribution and Usage
Non-commercial reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the paper or any material therein, in any medium is permitted by FIVE and requires credit to the author and journal. Permission of the author is required for use in derivative formats or for commercial purposes.
General Terms and Conditions of Use
Users of the FIVE or Scholarship@Claremont website and/or software agree not to misuse the FIVE or Scholarship@Claremont service or software in any way.
The failure of Scholarship@Claremont to exercise or enforce any right or provision in the policies or the Submission Agreement does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any term of the Submission Agreement or these policies is found to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision and the other provisions of the Submission Agreement and these policies remain in full force and effect. These policies and the Submission Agreement constitute the entire agreement between FIVE or Scholarship@Claremont and the author(s) regarding submission of the paper.