In 1950, the decision was taken to relocate Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden from its original site—Mrs. Susanna Bixby Bryant's ranch in Santa Ana Canyon, northeastern Orange County—to today's Claremont location in eastern Los Angeles County. The move reflected a wish to align the founder's mandate to "foster scientific research and public welfare" by seeking affiliation with the Claremont Colleges. The change enabled it to train graduate students in botany and related fields and draw more visitors to a garden devoted to native California plants. Accounts describe how the new site was adapted to its purpose, including the construction of the administrative building, design of the plantings, and staff and faculty recruitment.
Lenz, Lee W.
"The Botanic Garden Moves,"
Aliso: A Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Botany:
1, Article 11.
Available at: https://scholarship.claremont.edu/aliso/vol9/iss1/11
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.