133 papers to date
50,951 full-text downloads to date
15,604 downloads in the past year Updated as of 08/23/17
Welcome to The STEAM Journal, a transdisciplinary, international, theory-practice, peer-reviewed, academic, open access, online journal with a focus on the intersection of the sciences and the arts. The STEAM Journal integrates perspectives from a variety of contexts and fields.
STEAM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.
This publication features the bridges between Science, Technology, Engineering Mathematics (STEM) and the Arts. In this context, the journal acts as a forum for open dialogue of STEAM as well as expanding the body of transdisciplinary knowledge. The STEAM Journal is a hub for scholars and practitioners of many disciplines who wish to provide commentary, exchange ideas and inform policy and practice of STEAM.
Although there is a long history of the interaction of the sciences with the arts, STEAM is a new acronym that has emerged over the last decade and has a multitude of definitions and approaches. Some of the main themes of STEAM are fostering innovation, the need for twenty-first century skills, and divergent and convergent thinking. The STEAM Journal welcomes a diverse dialogue on the many aspects of STEAM.
All submissions are peer-reviewed, and we are now accepting submissions on a rolling basis. To submit you are required to make an account, it is free and fast. This allows your submission to be accepted into the peer review process which all submissions go through. To read the submission policies, guidelines, right and attribution information click here. To submit to the journal click here.
Current Issue: Volume 2, Issue 2 (2016) Pitfire
Pineapple, 022, Conversation – behind the cover art
Jesse W. Standlea
Reconciling the Divide: Common Processes in Science and Arts Education
Lori A. Fulton and Jamie Simpson-Steele
From STEM to STEAM: Students’ Beliefs About the Use of Their Creativity
Ayse Tugba Oner, Sandra Bonorden Nite, Robert M. Capraro, and Mary Margaret Capraro
Teleconnections in STEAM: Antarctic Field-Camp Art
Craig Stevens and Gabby O'Connor
Peaceful Ninjas: Merging Mindfulness Education with Holistic Arts
Zachariah Z. Fisher and April Tucker
Engaging the Community: Reflections on a STEAM Institute
Dennis Doyle and Yat-Long Sam Poon
- Professor of Education, Claremont Graduate University (CGU) - School of Educational Studies
- David Drew
- Chapman University (previously Professor of Education, CGU - School of Educational Studies)
- Margaret Grogan
- Founder & Editor: The STEAM Journal; PhD Education alumnus, CGU - School of Educational Studies
- Sara Kapadia
- Founder & Editor: The STEAM Journal; Director Preparing Future Faculty, CGU; PhD Education alumnus, CGU - School of Educational Studies
- Shamini Dias
- Professor of Philosophy, Vice President of Student and Enrollment Services, and Co-Director of the Transdisciplinary Studies Program
- Patricia Easton
- Professor of Art, CGU - School of Humanities & Art - Art department
- David Pagel